Monday, June 1, 2009

The Chicago Tribune

In reading the Chicage Tribune online, I found many interesting articles. The first article I read was about a twenty-seven year old Chicage police officer who was killed early Monday morning in his neighborhood on the south side of the city. Alex Valadez was not on duty at the time and was in his vehicle when the shooting happened. He is one of three police officers to be killed in the last twelve months in Chicago. What a sad story as he was such a positive role model for many and to have his life cut short because of someone's senseless act is horrific. I only hope they find the killer before anyone else is harmed.

Susan Boyle, the runner-up on "Britian's got Talent", is suffering from exhaustion. Susan rose to fame on the popular television show and many predicted her to be the top winner. She lost to a male dance group and although she congratulated them on their win deep down she was devastated and her hometown was in uproar as they felt she should have won. I feel that Susan was a great sport and handled the stress and exposure into her life well. I also feel that maybe her looks had an effect on some voters. As sad as that is, I think that our society is brain washed by the media and magazines as to what beauty should look like rather than the inner beauty of a person.

Scientists have discovered a compound which can help you lose weight, reduce your risks of diseases, and even incease your life span. This compound is called Resveratrol, which is a natural compund found in the skin of red grapes and red wine. Dr. Oz, who was recently on the Oprah show commented on the pill by saying, "This pill is the Holy Grail of aging research." I try to be an optomistic and feel that people should give the pill a try. I think that my parents look better now in their sixties than they ever have in their life as they are aging beautifully but with age comes many ailments and diseases. I would be supportive of them taking the pill if it would mean that I would have more productive and healthy years with them.

3 comments:

  1. In response to the second article, I feel that also many people wanted her to win because of her looks. But this time not because she was beautiful but because she was not as attractive. Either way the winner was not based on media attention or looks, but on talent. But it is sad to see that so much attention is given to this situation because of our society's constant pressure on appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i've heard of that pill before and it sounds like it can do wonders! I hope it works out for anyone that tries it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, 1, 2, 3! First, Chicago has a high murder and crime rate. Awful, in fact. And it's devastating.
    Second, Susan Boyle was exploited by the producers, I believe, to up their ratings. She has the talent and the will to survive the disappointment and move on. I support her in my prayers. She's too fantastic -- talented and soulful -- to let the second-rate motives and values of others get her down. Shame on the popular press, esp. British tabloid press, for dumping on her!
    Third -- pay attention to me. I am taking Reseratrol, or as a friend of mine prefers to call it, Reverse-it-all! I like the energy I have as a result of this. We'll see.
    Good work, Melissa. Keep it up.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete